28 July 2010

The Best Corn Muffins Ever!

I completely forgot to post last week and I apologize. In my defense I've been pretty busy.  I have a big announcement in the works, but I'm not ready to post about it yet.  First we have to celebrate birthday weekend!! Tinker Bell turns 13 on Sunday and I cannot believe my baby will be a full-fledged teenager.  My baby! And to prove to me that she is practically a grown woman she does not want a shaped cake this year. She wants a Chocolate-Raspberry Layer Cake with Chocolate Ganache from Bon Appetit magazine.  But...I'm thinking that a stormtrooper made out of fondant would make a great topper! :)  
  To make up for my lapse in posting last week I am going to share with you the recipe for the best corn muffins ever.  No, seriously, EVER.  With real corn in them!  They are perfectly sweet with amazing texture and true corn flavor.  Put down the box of Jiffy and make these muffins!
You will need:

1 stick butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup honey (any kind)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup frozen corn (thawed)



Preheat your oven to 380 degrees (You'll increase it to 400 after we put the muffins in the oven. The increase in temperature gives the muffins a nice, puffy top.)  Line a 12-cup muffin pan with papers.

Cream together the butter, sugar, and honey in a large bowl.  I used my KitchenAid with paddle attachment.



Then add the eggs and mix together.



Now add the flour and mix until barely combined.



And now the cornmeal.  Don't overmix.



Now fold in the buttermilk and corn.  I switch to a spatula to make sure I don't overmix.  (About the corn...you can use canned, just make sure it is low-sodium and completely drained and dry.  If you use frozen, let it sit in a bowl of hot water for about 2 minutes and it will thaw completely.  Then make sure you get it really dry.)



You'll get 12 muffins if you don't overfill the cups.  I use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop up the batter.  The muffin cups will end up about 2/3 full.



Place the muffins in the oven and increase the temp to 400.  Bake for 18-25 minutes.  I took them out at 18 and they were perfect.  Moist, but baked completely. Stick a toothpick in the middle muffin to check for doneness. There is nothing worse than a dry corn muffin! Better to underbake just a bit than overbake.  Let them sit in the pan for 5 minutes.  (Remember that they will continue to cook up a little after you take them out.)



Aren't they beautiful?!!



Perfect little, happy muffins!  And the taste...wow.  They will knock your socks off!!!!



Look at that corn!  It really adds another dimension of texture and flavor to the muffins.



They really do not need butter, but...



butter makes everything better.  You definitely don't need to put honey on these corn muffins.  The honey flavor shines.  So, am I forgiven for not posting?  :)

Enjoy!!!!

The Best Corn Muffins Ever

1 stick butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup honey (any kind)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup frozen corn (thawed)

1. Preheat your oven to 380 degrees 
(You'll increase it to 400 after we put the muffins in the oven. 
The increase in temperature gives the muffins a nice, puffy top.)  
Line a 12-cup muffin pan with papers.

2. Cream together the butter, sugar, and honey in a large bowl.  
I used my KitchenAid with paddle attachment.

3. Then add the eggs and mix together.
4. Now add the flour and mix until barely combined.
5. And now the cornmeal.  Don't overmix.
6.Now fold in the buttermilk and corn.  
I switch to a spatula to make sure I don't overmix.

7. Fill your muffins cups with the batter.
8. Place the muffins in the oven and increase the temp to 400. 
Bake for 18-25 minutes.

1 comment:

kitchen flavours said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog. Your corn muffins really look delicious. I'm enjoying reading your posts. I have signed up to be your follower and looking forward to next post. Have a nice day!