11 October 2009

Dulce de Leche Brownies

It did not take me long after writing my last post to figure out what I wanted to do with the dulce de leche. I have a recipe bookmarked that I have wanted to make for a long time. So, adapted from Baking Bites Dulce de Leche Brownies.

You will need:

1/2 cup butter (Smart Balance)
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup flour (I used King Arthur white whole wheat)
3 T cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup (+) dulce de leche



I melted the chocolate and Smart Balance in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, set aside, and cool. (I took a picture, but it turned out blurry and unusable.)

Whisk together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla. You don't really need to use your stand mixer for this recipe. Very simple process.



While whisking, pour in the cooled chocolate mixture.



Then whisk in the flour, cocoa powder, and salt.





Pour the batter into a parchment-lined, lightly greased 8-inch baking dish. Baking Bites used tin foil instead of parchment. So, whatever you have on hand. :) Then drop the 1/2 cup (or a little more) of dulce de leche by spoonfuls onto the batter. Use a knife to carefully swirl it around.



Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Check it after 30 minutes. Or do like I did...shut the door to the bedroom and totally forget that you have brownies in the oven. I think they cooked for about 33 minutes. Could be more...or less. Was at least 30 because that's what I set the timer for and it was blaring away when I finally remembered the brownies. But they didn't burn!



I picked up the parchment sides to remove the brownies from the pan. You could let them cool before slicing as Baking Bites suggests. OR you can cut into them right away and feast. Like we did. Be careful biting into them if you don't let them cool. The dulce de leche is super hot.



And gooey. And sweet. And awesome.



With some of the leftover dulce you can spread a little more on top of the brownies. I have discovered that there is no such thing as too much dulce de leche. Ooooooo, baby!



Enjoy!

No comments: