17 October 2009

Zucchini Muffins

I don't make these very often, but when I do they don't last a day--which leaves me to wonder why I don't make them more often. If you make these and have leftovers, they freeze beautifully for up to a month. Just take one out of the freezer on your way out the door in the morning and by the time you get to work it will be thawed. Paired with a cup of coffee, you have the perfect breakfast full of whole grains.

You will need:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce (all-natural, no sugar added)
1T oil
1/4 cup milk (skim is fine)
1T lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)



First, prepare your zucchini. I put two zucchinis in the picture, but only ended up needing the larger of the two. I used my food processor to shred the zucchini...



but then used the blade to chop it up even finer. You can omit this step, unless you are trying to sneak the zucchini by kids. :)



In your mixer bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.



Combine thoroughly.



Then add your egg, applesauce, oil, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla. (*note: if you use whole milk or cream you can omit the oil altogether. Whenever I replace oil with applesauce I like to add one tablespoon of oil to keep my baked goods moist. They need at least a little bit of fat.)



Mix well.



Now add the zucchini and mix until just combined.



And if your kids have been particularly well-behaved, or done something super cute, or you just want to treat yourself, add the chocolate chips. But these muffins are great without the chocolate, too.



Find some cute muffin papers and line 12 muffin cups.



Fill the cups about 2/3 of the way full. You will get 12 muffins this way.



Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Check them after 18 minutes.



The zucchini keeps the muffins so moist. With only one tablespoon of oil and natural applesauce you don't have to feel guilty when you wolf down two muffins!



They don't really need butter, but...mmmmmmm.



Enjoy!

No comments: