28 April 2009

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas


This recipe is one of my family's favorites. I got it out of one of my many, many cookbooks and gave it a healthy version makeover.


4 cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup fat free sour cream
1 can Campbell's Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup (it's 98% fat free)
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
1 small can chopped green chilis, drained
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (plus a little extra)
6 whole wheat tortillas
salsa

Start by shredding your chicken breasts. You can chop them, but shredded tastes better. I don't know why. Mix the chicken, sour cream, soup, onion, chilis, and cheese in a large bowl.



More on the cheese...you can use 2%, of course. Personally, I don't like the taste. I can definitely tell that it is not...well, real cheddar cheese. (I just had a discussion about this with a friend. She says she can't tell, but I can so I don't use it.) It doesn't melt right either. But I do use lowfat mozzarella.

Back to the recipe. Whole wheat tortillas are in a galaxy far, far away from white flour tortillas. They have a better texture, are healthier, and actually add flavor to your dishes. A nutty flavor with depth that white tortillas can only dream about.




Now here's the part where you can experiment. I put about three big spoonfuls of mix onto each tortilla and end up with 6 enchiladas in a 9x13 dish. You could also wrap these like a burrito so that no gooey goodness leaks out, but I just fold them over a couple of times. I like the ends open and bubbly.




I spray the 9x13 with a little cooking spray before adding the enchiladas. It helps with clean-up since the cheese does tend to leak a little. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, remove from oven and add a little more cheese on top, then bake for another 5 minutes.





These taste completely indulgent and are a great comfort food without all the guilt. Except for the cheese...so maybe a tiny bit of guilt. :) Serve them with a little salsa on the side or even some extra sour cream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, looks delicious!!

PMP said...

so, do you cook 6 and then cook 6 more after? how does that work? (because you say 12 and then you only end up with 6 here) Or do you have two pans? (I don't have two pans).

Sunshine Mom said...

No, just 6. I edited the ingredients to list just 6 tortillas now. 12 come in the package and I just meant to have a package of tortillas. :) One pan is all you need. I think you will really, really like these!!