20 May 2009

Apple Muffins

I found this recipe online when I was looking for a decent homemade apple fritter recipe. Then I realized that I did not have enough oil to fry the fritters and started looking for a baked apple doughnut. These are absolutely amazing, but definitely more muffin than doughnut. I am dedicating this post to my father-in-law, who for 16 years has been trying to get me to eat apple pie. There is something about the apple/cinnamon combo that just doesn't do it for me, but I'm trying. If I love these muffins, I know he will, too!



I changed just a couple of minor things, so here's my version:

1 1/2 cup flour
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup half and half (or any milk)
1 1/2 cup finely diced apples (I used Fuji)
************
1/3 cup butter
cinnamon sugar

Mix first three ingredients and cut in shortening. Add egg and milk, mix, then add apples.



Stir just until combined and fill 12 paper-lined muffin cups about 3/4 full.




Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. While baking, melt the butter and get out your cinnamon sugar. I keep mine in a cute little shaker. Makes cinnamon toast easy peasy.



When the muffins are done they will be lightly brown.



Brush with melted butter...



then top with cinnamon sugar.



These are best eaten warm. They are so moist that they do not need any butter.

No comments: