23 March 2010

Italian Chicken

I have been making my mom's recipe for Italian Chicken since I was first married (coming up on 17 years), but I've been eating it since I can remember. The first time I made it I didn't have the recipe and was trying to make it from memory. Not smart considering I had never made it before and had yet to pull off a successful dinner. I didn't know what liquid my mom used (wine), so I used water. The result? The toughest, most inedible chicken ever made. Bubba could not even get his knife through it. Poor guy! :) My mom sent me the recipe and it's been one of my family's favorite ever since. Thanks, Mom!

(*note: I am detailing the recipe in its original quantities, but I doubled the recipe when I took the pictures. I wanted to have enough for the next night.)

You will need:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breats
1 package Italian bread crumbs (I used Panko)
1 egg
1T lemon juice (fresh)
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
1/2 cup white cooking wine
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp parsley flakes (fresh or dried)
1 tsp chicken bullion or one cube
2T oil for frying pan



Heat an electric skillet to 325 degrees.

Mix the lemon juice, zest, wine, water, garlic salt, parsley flakes, and chicken bullion in a measuring cup.



Mix the egg and 1T of water and put in a bowl or pie pan. Add the Italian bread crumbs to another bowl or pie pan. (I really recommend the pie pans. They make everything so much easier!)



I cut up my chicken breasts into thirds (per usual) and dip in the egg mixture.



Then roll them in the bread crumbs.



Add the 2T of oil to the hot pan and then add the chicken. Brown on each side.



Then pour the lemon, wine, seasoning mixture on top of the browned chicken.



Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to 200 degrees, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.



The chicken is incredibly flavorful with a bit of tang from the wine and lemon. And incredibly tender! Bubba doesn't even need a knife to cut through this chicken now. :)



This chicken is great the next day, too. You can reheat it for a second night of dinner or chop it up and put it on a salad for lunch. Any way you eat it this chicken is scrumptious!



Enjoy!!

(Another recipe I am making this week, but have already posted is my Chicken Fried Rice made with my brown rice.)



Italian Chicken

See Italian Chicken on Key Ingredient.

4 comments:

Jellybeans said...

This looks fantastic! I wanted to ask you something. How do you decide on what to make for dinner on a day-to-day basis? Do you have a list of things you can make? This is probably the worst thing for me. I love cooking, I just hate thinking of what to make for dinner. Do you have any tips/suggestions? Thanks sunshinemom! :)

gladtobehere said...

Hi from Montana,
Your Italian Chicken looks delicious. We'll try it this week while Dana is home for break. Thanks for the cute pictures of the critters. Love from all of us.

Sunshine Mom said...

Jellybeans, excellent question! Someone else asked me about that, too and I'm planning on doing a whole post about it. :)

Jeanne, I bet you're excited to have Dana home for break! Hope you all like the chicken. I think about you every morning when I drink coffee out of my Forks mug. :) :)

PMP said...

So, I made this again for dinner tonight and it is rapidly becoming our favorite meal. TMH loves it... this time it turned out even better than last time. So tasty! Thank you, Sunshine Mama.
Like Jellybeans, I am looking forward to your post on how to plan the meals for the week :)
big hugs.