03 March 2010

Slow Cooker Applesauce

I got this recipe for slow cooker applesauce from Tasty Kitchen. I changed up the recipe just a bit and am head-over-heels in love with the result!! I will definitely be making this again and again and again.... We ate the applesauce as a dessert after dinner, but then ate it again for breakfast and I put little tubs of it in our lunches. It is also fabulous in pancakes and bread!

You will need:

8 whole apples, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tsp cinnamon
slow cooker



The original recipe calls for 8 Golden Delicious, but I used a combination of Fuji (4), Granny Smith (2), and Golden Delicious (2). I would recommend using at least 2 Granny Smith apples no matter what other apples you choose. Also, stay away from the Red Delicious--they tend to be mealy.

Peel your apples. I used an apple peeler/corer, but didn't core them because it slices the apples when it pulls out the core. I don't like that.



Chop the apples into cubes, medium size and toss them into your slow cooker. No need to worry about the apples turning brown since you will be cooking them.



Add the water, sugar, and cinnamon and toss until combined.



Set your slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours (which is what I did) or on low for 8-10. I stirred the applesauce about once an hour.



After three hours smash the apples with a potato masher, but leave some chunks.
Chunky applesauce is AWESOME.



You'll never go back to the jarred stuff after tasting this applesauce. Absolutely amazing. One of my all-time favorite recipe finds!!



Try not to burn your mouth as your scarf down a huge bowl. :)



Enjoy!

Slow Cooker Applesauce

See Slow Cooker Applesauce on Key Ingredient.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe! My picky eater keeps asking me to make more. :) Kim