08 September 2009

Blueberry Cinnamon Bread

Sometimes I like to torture myself. I sit here at the computer and...window shop at williams-sonoma.com. And when I am feeling really naughty I put stuff in the cart! I know, terrible. But a girl can dream. :) Today, while daydreaming about the colorful mixing bowls and eating my pathetic lunch of turkey wrapped in a lettuce leaf, I stumbled on a Williams Sonoma recipe. I thought, I can't spend over $150 on mixing bowls (when I already own so many even though these are so dang pretty) but I can race into the kitchen and whip up some Sour Cream Blueberry Bread. I made couple of changes, starting with the name. I like Blueberry Cinnamon Bread better. Like the mixing bowls, this bread is amazing!! The smell while it is baking...pure heaven. So here it is:

You will need:

2 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 stick Smart Balance (softened)
2 cups flour (I used King Arthur White Whole Wheat)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (++++)
1 heaping cup fresh or frozen blueberries



Preheat your oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan.

Mash the bananas...



then add the softened butter.



Combine and add eggs one a time, mixing after each addition. Then add the vanilla and...



sour cream. I used Reduced Fat.



In a separate bowl, add your dry ingredients. Flour, sugar (I used brown instead of white), baking soda, salt, and cinnamon (I added more than a tsp).



Mix it all together.



Add half of your dry to the wet and combine.



Then add the second half and stir just until combined.



Scrape your paddle attachment and switch to a spatula at this point. Fold in your blueberries.





This batter is thick, but not at all dry. Pour batter into greased pan.



Bake for 50-60 minutes. My bread took the full 60 minutes. It comes out looking like this...



and this.



You should make this bread just for the smell of it. Out of this world! It is so moist with the perfect quick bread density (not too heavy, but not at all fluffy).



It doesn't need butter at all...but butter is soooo good on this bread.



Enjoy!

4 comments:

Nikitty said...

very nice.. I will definitely have to try that =]

Simply Life said...

Oooh that looks like the best bread ever! YUM!

Jellybeans said...

So I'm not a huge fan of blueberries. Do you think I can use other fruit like maybe strawberries for this? Should I chop them up into little pieces or puree them? Thanks SunshineMom!

Sunshine Mom said...

Hey, Jellybeans! I think any fruit would work. Raspberries would be amazing and I would just toss them in whole. Strawberries I would slice into fourths since they tend to be bigger. If you puree them (which would be awesome) I would maybe decrease the sour cream by a tablespoon or two. But if it looks too dry you could always put the sour cream back in before baking. I think I'll try raspberries next time... :)