02 October 2009

Mustard Chicken

This recipe is a new addition to my repertoire. In fact, I've only made it once but it was a big hit. (Except with Tink, who doesn't eat chicken anymore because of her pet chickens. She says they can smell it on her when she eats chicken and it hurts their feelings.) I had 6 pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and needed to make something quick, but was tired of the same old chicken I always make. (And I was out of lemons so lemon chicken was out. I never get tired of that recipe.) Plus I have a ton of mustard because I'm kind of a mustard junkie. This recipe is the result.

You will need:

paprika
pepper
salt
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into thirds)
1/2 cup dry cooking wine
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup milk (any type)
2 T flour
2 T mustard (any flavor)
a bit of oil



Pour a little bit of oil into the bottom of a frying pan (I used electric) and crank the heat to medium high. Place the chicken in the pan and sprinkle with paprika, pepper, and salt to taste.



Cook for 4 minutes and then turn over. Sprinkle with more paprika, pepper, and salt. Cook for 4 more minutes.




While the chicken is cooking, add the flour and milk to a small bowl.



Mix until no lumps remain.



When chicken is finished cooking the second 4 minutes, remove from pan and set onto a plate.

Add cooking wine to the pan and use a spatula to scrape up all the tasty bits.



Then add the flour mixture to the pan and cook until thickened. About 2 minutes.



When thickened add the chicken broth and mustard. I used Dijon, but you can use regular, horseradish, honey mustard. Honey mustard would be excellent.



Mix thoroughly and then add chicken back to pan. Turn the heat down to medium and cover the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes or until all traces of pink are gone.



When finished cooking, use a spoon to pour the sauce over the top of the chicken and serve. It would be great over rice or in a salad!



Enjoy!

No comments: