20 October 2009

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream

My advice to you is don't make these. They are too good and you will eat more than one. Maybe even more than two. In anticipation of this occurrence I scaled the recipe down so that it would only make 12 cupcakes. If there is one thing I don't need it is 24 cupcakes (of any kind) in my house. I can't be trusted!

If you dare to make these even after my warning...

You will need:

1/2 of a can of pumpkin (just eyeball it)
3/4 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour (no white whole wheat this time)
1/2 cup + 2T brown sugar (light or dark)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
6T oil
2 eggs
******************
Cinnamon Buttercream

1/2 cup butter (I used Smart Balance)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla
4T whipping cream



Preheat your oven to 350. In a large mixer bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.



Mix thoroughly and then add the oil and eggs.



Beat on high for 2 minutes and then add your pumpkin.



Mix just until combined.



The batter now looks and smells like pumpkin pie. Grab some cute Halloween cupcake liners and line a 12-cup muffin pan.



I used a 1/3 measuring cup and got 12 full-to-the-brim cupcakes.



Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. When they are done, allow them to sit for no more than two minutes in the pan and then remove them to a wire rack to cool. I couldn't wait and put them on a tray table in front of an open window so they would cool faster. :)



Look how cute and wrinkly they are! Adorable and they taste amazing with no buttercream at all.



To make the buttercream: cream together the sugar, cinnamon, and butter. Then add the vanilla and whipping cream and beat on high for 4 minutes. Frost them however you like. I don't get fancy with my cupcakes.



These cupcakes are super moist and ridiculously delicious. Only make them if you can take them to someone's house or a bake sale. They are too dangerous to keep around if you are by yourself.



Enjoy!!

No comments: