02 July 2009

Flag Cake

As the 4th of July holiday approaches picnickers and backyard bbq-ers all across the nation frost their sheet cakes and decorate them with blueberries, raspberries, and even strawberries. The red, white, and blue Flag Cake is a unique American tradition. Even non-bakers can throw together a box cake and slap on some berries. It really could not be easier! It is also the perfect project to let your kids help with--and you can feel good about encouraging them to eat the decorations as they help. So, make your favorite cake from the box or from scratch, make some buttercream or open a tub of white frosting, and wash some blueberries and raspberries (or strawberries if you prefer)--make sure you get them really dry so they don't leak all over the cake.



You will need:

a rectangular cake (size doesn't really matter...hee hee)
white frosting to cover the cake
blueberries
raspberries (or strawberries)


If you are familiar with my blog then you know I didn't use a box cake. I made Martha Stewart's flag cake, which uses her white cake recipe. I didn't change much. She used a 12x18 inch sheet cake pan and I didn't have one and couldn't find one at Wally Mart, so I just used a 9x13. It was perfect!



I used buttercream instead of her cream cheese frosting because we aren't cream cheese people. You will probably get a truer white from the cream cheese, but I used Smart Balance sticks, which are pretty yellow and my frosting still came out white. I do recommend giving her white cake recipe a try. It was unbelievably tender and so, so yummy.

I followed her directions. She recommends using a toothpick to outline the flag on the cake. Super easy.



Now call in the kiddies and show them where to place the raspberries. I did the first stripe for them to give them a better idea how to line them up. Then I left them alone and let them have fun.





We didn't try to line up the blueberries at all after the initial outlining. We just took handfuls and pressed them into the frosting.





Boy, oh boy is this cake delicious!!





You will definitely want to store it in the fridge until you are ready to eat it. We dug in right away. :) I would not recommend applying the fruit the night before. Even if you get them super dry, the natural juices tend to leak out after a few hours. The juices give the cake an excellent flavor, but they don't do much for the presentation. We didn't have much left to store in the fridge overnight!



I'll leave you with the perfect bite. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Chaya said...

That cake is gorgeous. How long did it take you from start to finish. A masterpiece. I am glad you brought my attention to it.

Anonymous said...

Looks very delicious too!

Lana said...

Great July 4 idea and a wonderful activity for the kids!

janet said...

How fun, I love it!

Friday Delights said...

Awesome!!!

Miranda said...

This looks great!!!!!
Where in FL do you live? I love FL. We moved here three yrs. ago. I live in Lake Mary, FL
It is located in between Daytona and Orlando.

Sunshine Mom said...

We live on the other side of Orlando from you. :) Just south of Kissimmee in St Cloud. We've lived here for going on 6 years and love, love, love it!!