16 July 2009

Workout Shake

I hate working out. Really, really hate it, but I love it when I am finished. My preferred workout time is the morning, before breakfast. I can't eat and then work out. Big yuck, but I always need something (cold) when I'm done torturing myself. This shake cools me down, fills me up, and gives me energy to get through the rest of the day. It's my reward for sweating and crying my way through another workout.

You will need:

1/4 cup frozen blueberries (or fresh)
1 scoop soy protein powder
a banana
8 oz water
4 (or more) cubes of ice
blender
1/2 T flaxseed oil (optional)



You can find soy protein powder at any store--I get mine at Wally Mart. It's not at all expensive and lasts a long time, but you do get less than what the canister implies.



That's a new can. Really! It's like opening a bag of chips and more than half the bag is air. I suppose the protein powder "settled?" Hmm. Still, it's cheap and will last you for months.

Add all of your ingredients to the blender in no particular order. (I find that this shake is plenty sweet, but if you want it even sweeter you can add a teaspoon or so of honey.)



Blend.



This shake supposedly makes two servings, but I've found that it really makes about one and a half. I suppose if you weren't replacing your breakfast with the shake it would be two servings. I can usually find a monkey who want to the finish the shake for me or I put the remainder in the fridge and have it for a snack later on in the afternoon. It makes a great 3 o'clock pick-me-up!



The shake comes out a beautiful purple color. My pictures don't do it justice...it's hard to photograph glass.



Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jellybeans said...

Is it weird that I re-read your blog posts when you don't have new updates? Just thought I'd say I love your blog (and food) and find myself trying some of your recipes because they look so darn tasty! You actually inspired me to start my own food blog, which I'm hoping to launch soon. Looking forward to new posts!

Sunshine Mom said...

And you've inspired me to get cracking with some new posts! :) I'm really looking forward to reading your blog. Let me know when you get it up and running!

Anonymous said...

Here you go:
Ticklemytongue.blogspot.com