25 November 2009

Pumpkin Pie

This recipe is a variation of the one on the back of the Libby Pumpkin can (not the pumpkin pie filling). It started with my father-in-law who always makes two pumpkin pies at a time, so he doubles the recipe. He thought he had two cans of evaporated milk, but only had one and one can of condensed milk. He used both and a better pie was born. (I never liked pumpkin pie until I tried his version and now it is one of my favorites.) I took it one step further by upping the cinnamon, ditching the cloves, and switching the white sugar for brown. The hint of molasses makes quite a difference. SO yummy!

This year Goose made the pies. Since this recipe makes two pies, you can give one away as a gift or (like our family) eat pumpkin pie for breakfast and dessert for over a week. :) They don't freeze well, though. Always make your pies the day before the holiday. Pumpkin Pie is best served chilled from the fridge.

You will need (for two pies):

1 1/2 cups brown sugar (dark or light)
3 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger (I'm not a ginger fan--feel free to double this amount)
4 eggs
2 cans Libby's pure pumpkin
1 12oz can evaporated milk
1 14oz can condensed milk
2 unbaked pie crusts



Preheat oven to 425.

I use the refrigerated pie crusts. They taste like homemade and don't require me to clean my food processor--a task I am none too fond of. Let them sit out for about 10 minutes or they will be too cold and will rip. But don't let them get to room temperature because then they will be too warm and will rip. I sprinkle a little bit of flour into the pie dishes before adding the crusts so that they don't stick. (Another little trick from my father-in-law.)



In a medium size bowl (not your mixer) add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and ginger. Give it a light mix.



In your large mixer bowl, add the eggs and beat for one minute.



(If you should happen to drop an egg on the floor, sprinkle it with salt and then it will wipe right up with a paper towel.)

Add your sugar and spice mixture to the eggs.



Mix thoroughly and then add your two cans of pumpkin.



Mix.



Pour in just the evaporated milk and mix together.



With the mixer on low add the condensed milk.



Make sure you scrape the sides and bottoms of the bowl.



Once everything is completely combined, pour into your pie crusts and bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Then reduce the heat to 350 and bake for another 50-60 minutes. When a toothpick inserted in the middle of the pies comes out clean, your pie is done. Cool completely and then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.



I always like to "check" the pie in the morning by having a nice size slice. My father-in-law and I loooove pie for breakfast. :) Top with whipped cream, but please don't sully the pie with Chemical (Cool) Whip. Fresh cream! Reddi Whip will do in a pinch.



This pie makes those store bought pumpkin pies weep with shame. I think I better go have another piece just to make sure it still tastes awesome.



Enjoy!!

my recipe card:

Pumpkin Pies

See Pumpkin Pies on Key Ingredient.

No comments: